‘How often should you service your boiler?’ is a question you should be asking yourself if you want to keep your central heating systems working as they should. Beyond ensuring your boiler is working properly, regular servicing will prevent any safety issues from becoming a problem.
Although boiler servicing isn’t a legal requirement for homeowners, it’s a critical part of property maintenance and will protect your heating system in the long run. It also saves you the hassle of having to shell out for costly repairs and, in a worst-case scenario, a full gas boiler replacement.
At Complete Plumbing Solutions, we’re the go-to provider for gas boiler service and maintenance in County Cork. Even at the best of times, a boiler breakdown is inconvenient. When your boiler runs into trouble during the winter months, having to struggle without central heating and hot water is almost impossible.
If you’ve recently moved into a new property and your boiler needs a check or your system is long overdue a service, now’s the time to get in touch to see how we can help you.
Warning Signs Of When To Get Your Boiler Serviced
If your boiler is being serviced regularly, there shouldn’t be any underlying issues to worry about. However, some telltale signs are a clear indication that your boiler needs attention. See some of them below:
- Water dripping from the base of your unit.
- Pilot light is any colour other than blue.
- A yellow or orange flame might suggest a carbon monoxide leak.
- Unusual stains on or around your boiler.
- Boiler is taking a long time to heat up.
- Kettling sounds, especially during the start-up stage.
- Energy bills are higher than usual.
What Does a Boiler Service Include?
A plumber in Cork will first inspect the outside of your boiler to check for obvious faults or problems with the installation of your system. Once the external check has been carried out, they will ensure that the boiler starts up properly. If there are any major faults, it will be flagged. Next, the plumber will inspect the internal components of the boiler itself. They’ll clean away any debris before making sure the boiler is working as expected.
What’s Checked During a Gas Boiler Service?
During a gas boiler inspection, a plumber will carry out detailed checks of boiler components, including:
- Flue Inspection: To identify any safety issues, a plumber will inspect for any evidence of flue spills. Ideally, flue ducts should be able to remove chemicals and pollutants from your system. A plumber will also check for signs of carbon monoxide.
- Pilot and Burners: Your boiler pilot and burners are next up. In many cases, these will only require minor readjustment and a little cleaning. A plumber will turn off the main burner switch of the boiler and see how the burner reacts. Fuel readings will also be taken to ensure your boiler is working as efficiently as possible.
- Gas Flow and Pressure: To ensure boiler flow is optimal, a plumber will inspect valves and components like filling loops. For optimal gas flow and pressure levels, these need to be attached correctly.
- Other Internal Components: Your boiler is a complex system, made up of all manner of seals, sensors, cables and connectors. Sometimes, these elements need to be checked and repaired. A certified electrician can handle any repairs to electrical wiring when necessary.
- Controls and Thermostats: Finally, a plumber will check the switches and thermostat controls of your boiler. If there are any major issues, replacement parts can be ordered and repairs carried out.
How Long Does it Take to Service a Boiler
It doesn’t take very long at all for a boiler to be serviced. However, service time will vary depending on the exact model. In the vast majority of cases, a full boiler service can be completed in under an hour.
Obviously, if any major issues are detected or repairs and heavy maintenance need to be carried out, you’re looking at a longer process. Once any major issues have been identified and maintenance carried out, future services should be more streamlined.
When to Get Your Boiler Serviced
‘How often should you service your boiler?’ is a question our plumbers get asked a lot. For peace of mind, you should aim to have your boiler serviced at least once every 12 months. Doing so will ensure that your boiler is operating as efficiently as it can. It’s even more important for older boilers.
The longer your boiler is in operation, the less efficient it will be. Regular serving also means that you don’t have to worry about safety issues posing a risk to you and your family. Furthermore, annual servicing is essential if you want to keep your warranty valid. If your boiler is within warranty and an annual check detects a manufacturer’s fault, you can often be compensated for any costs involved.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Service a Boiler?
Even if you think you’re a dab hand at DIY, never attempt to service a boiler yourself. A thorough boiler service requires the expertise of an RGI-certified professional. Boilers are complex systems. If you attempt to service them yourself, you risk creating safety hazards and voiding your boiler warranty.
How Much Does a Gas Boiler Service Cost?
Gas boiler service typically costs in the region of €99. However, the price of a service ultimately depends on the boiler model itself. It’s a relatively minor expense when you consider the cost of carrying out pricey repairs or having to invest in a full gas boiler replacement if something goes wrong with your current system.
Does a Boiler Need to Be Serviced Every Year?
Yes, especially if you live in a busy household where your boiler is put through its paces regularly. An annual service will save you money in the long run, keeping energy costs down and preventing safety risks like water and carbon monoxide leaks.
Searching for Boiler Service and Repairs?
Boiler service isn’t something you should take chances with. If it’s been more than a year since your system was last checked, now’s the time to arrange for an RGI-certified to carry out an overdue inspection.
As well as boiler service, we provide a full range of plumbing solutions. Looking for a plumber in Mallow? We can help. Searching for a plumber in Cork to tackle burst pipework? Our emergency callout service is on hand to help when you need it most.
We also provide a range of services for the commercial sector. Looking for power flushing or pump services? Our team has extensive experience with complex systems, ensuring your operation is back on track in no time.
Do you need to talk about your plumbing issue in more detail? Schedule a call back today at a time that suits you. We offer great rates in County Cork. Call us on (085) 169 4244 to chat to our experts today!